Shooting And Editing Canon Log With The C300 And C100

April 25, 201311 Comments

Filed in: C300CanonCanon Cinema EOSFeatured PostPost ProductionVideo Editing
Tagged with:

About the Author ()

I'm a broadcast DP In San Diego. I enjoy sharing what I'm working on and testing new equipment. This blog is also part of giving back. I've learned so much from so many people.

Comments (11)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. JP says:

Really nice image. I didn’t notice any rolling shutter issues on the pan move either was that added in post or done in camera? Thanks for the blog Erik. It’s a great resource.

• Erik Naso says:

Thanks JP. I’m glad you find the blog helpful.
      All the moves are done in camera except for the slow pushes on the time lapse shots. Those are done in post. The C300 does pretty well in regards to rolling shutter.

2. Erik Naso says:

I recently updated the article with more images and info.

3. Niall says:

Hi Erik, I think your two spots are great examples of how to get the most out of this camera. As a recent buyer of the C300 I’d be interested to know the general in-camera settings you use?

I find the cinema locked mode to be soft so I’ve switched to getting c log through the custom profile and turning the detail up. What detail settings do you use?

Have you had any problems with banding? I notice it in the highlights when I push the grade.

Do you use cinema gamma exclusively? I have found it ugly to grade when used in low contrast situations (example, dull overcast days).

I have been slightly underwhelmed with the test footage I have shot so far (albeit for one day) so any advice would be much appreciated!

• Erik Naso says:

Hi Niall.

I dont use any custom profiles or tweak the stock settings. I like Canon Log and wide DR. The image I get looks really good to me. If your having sharpness issues it could be from the lenses.

4. Terry Wilson says:

Hi Eric,

Recently we shot a TV pilot with C100 on C-Log and C300 on standard profile and the C100 just looked so much better and was so much more grade-able despite being only 24 Mb vs. the 50 Mb from the C300. C100 had better skin tones, and 300 was a lot grainier it was shocking that shooting log made so much difference!

5. David Krupin says:

Erik, I am a new user of C300 and our company wants to move ahead and shoot more in C Log. I have been out shooting all kinds of test footage for our editors to Grade and test abilities of Davinci Software. Based on numerous articles and chats i’ve read the C300 should be in ISO 850 and all other parameters should work around that ISO. Am I correct? What i’ve noticed is that most of the footage looks grainy in the darkest areas? I have seen other shot footage at ISO’s over 5000 and they look great. Am I the problem in obtaining footage or is it the post process is not there. I use an additional monitor with full screen waveform to keep my brights around 62% IRE and Skin tones around 32% again per articles, Canon and other chats. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6. Dale says:

I’m just starting to play with C Log. It certainly has a nicer look and feel to it. Could you pass on a few tips for me regarding shooting in C Log and also do you use LUTS? Or are you still happy with Colorista? Oh one more thing while i think of it… Any experience with C Log in low light? Many thanks.

• Erik Naso says:

I dont use LUTS. I just bought FilmConvert but haven’t really tried it yet. I use Colorisa II still.
      I usually start with adding a curve the bring the blacks. Then the highlights. If the mids need a boost I will do them last. Adjust saturation then change color balance and continue tweaking from that point. A LUT would save time if you find one for the camera. FilmConvert has several. It’s a very cool color tool.

Dont underexpose in Clog. The image is hard to save because it’s only 8 bit and AVCHD. You are much better off using a higher ISO. Run a few test to find your comfort zone.

7. dale says:

Thanks for this info. Yeah I’m experimenting. It really has a nice look when i get it right. Quite tricky to grade when I don’t. Its a work in progress.

I have issues with focus. That’s why I’m playing with it as i like the live view setting on the lcd screen.

I’m also experimenting with WDR and sharpness to see if i can find some kind of middle ground for myself.

I miss the old peaking settings on ENG cameras!

thanks again erik. Your blog is my favourite to follow.

8. Greg Boyd says:

Thanks Erik! I’ve been referencing this post for Months!!!