It’s finally here! Metabones has released the EF to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster. Yes I just ordered one and I sure hope it wont take to long to deliver. We have been waiting for a long time for an adapter to use Canon EF lenses on the Panasonic GH series cameras and now with an added bonus of the Speed Booster we have it!. Also very impressive is the adapter supports image stabilization and gets power direct from the camera. No external power supply needed. Very cool!It’s hard to type while I’m jumping for joy! Ha!
The adapter is expensive at $600 plus shipping. However it opens up all my Canon lenses and EF mount ones too. Below is a full description of the adapter. Missing from the list is the Sigma ART lenses. That will be the first ones I test when it arrives.
Micro Four Thirds has a 2x crop factor compared to full frame so this adapter will make your full frame glass closer to s35. (Makes lens 0.71x wider.) Not full frame on the GH4. Canon APS-C lenses have a EF-S mount and are not compatible.
I’m not expecting the auto focus to be as good as a native lens is. With the Canon EF To NEX It’s very slow and not accurate. For stills I need AF to work. I can live without it for filming. I have the adapter for my A7s and it’s disappointing. Hopefully it wont have the communication issues that version does. Still even if it isn’t perfect it’s a much needed tool.
- Increase maximum aperture by 1 stop.
- Increase MTF.
- Makes lens 0.71x wider.
- Build-in electronics to control lens aperture.
- The lens aperture is set by the controls on the camera body.
- Powered by camera body. no external power source required. (also accept 3rd party external power supply via MicroUSB socket)
- High performance 32-bit processor and efficient switched-mode power supply.
- The tripod foot is detachable and compatible with Arca Swiss, Markins and Photo Clam ball heads.
Optics designed by Caldwell Photographic in the USA (patent pending)
Image stabilization (IS) lenses
Electronic manual focusing (e.g. EF 85/1.2L II and discontinued EF 50/1.0L)
EXIF (focal length, aperture, zoom range)
Distance and zoom display on camcorders (see note 1)
Contax N mount lenses modified to Canon EF by Conurus (see note 2)
Contax 645 NAM-1 adapter modified to Canon EF by Conurus (see note 2)
Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lenses in Canon EF mount (see note 2)
External 5 Volt power supply (see note 6)
EF-S lenses (some EF-S lenses may need modification)
Lens correction such as peripheral shading, CA and distortion
Focus confirmation “chip” (e.g. Dandelion)
M42 screw mount adapters (see note 4)
Stacking non-Metabones/non-Conurus mount adapters on top (see note 5 and list of lenses which require modification below.)
- Requires lenses supporting distance information.
- A third party zoom lens may need to be registered with the Speed Booster/Smart Adapter first in order to detect its maximum aperture.
- This Smart Adapter is designed to cover an 17.3mm x 13mm sensor.
- Some improperly-made M42 screw mount adapters may short the electronic contacts of the Smart Adapter and cause damage to the Smart Adapter and/or camera body.
- Many manual focus lenses (e.g. OM 28/2.8, OM 50/1.8, Leica R 15/3.5) have rear protrusions (spikes, levers, other appendages) which would damage the optics and/or housing of Smart Adapter. They need to be modified before they can be safely used on Smart Adapter. Check and make sure there are no rear protrusions from the adapter/lens combination before using on Smart Adapter. Scratches and damages caused by rear protrusions on Smart Adapter are not covered by warranty.
- For those passive (without electronic pin or without power supply from the camcorder) MFT camcorders, this Smart Adapter can also be powered by external third-party 5 Volt MicroUSB power supply*.
* ) third-party 5 Volt MicroUSB power supply is not provided in the box. The compability of 3rd party power supply can’t be guaranteed.
List of lenses (have been tested by metabones) with support on EF-M43 Smart Adapter. (Lenses which have been tested with EF-E Smart Adapter may refer to EF-E Smart Adapter product page.)
Canon EF zooms
Canon EF primes
Canon 85mm 1.2
Canon 100mm 2.8
List of manual focus lenses which REQUIRE MODIFICATION to be used on Smart Adapter
Many manual focus lenses have rear protrusions (spikes, levers, other appendages) which would damage the optics and/or housing of Smart Adapter. They need to be modified before they can be safely used on Smart Adapter. Check and make sure there are no rear protrusions from the adapter/lens combination before using on Smart Adapter. Scratches and damages caused by rear protrusions or by poor quality adapters are not covered by warranty. The following is an incomplete list of lenses known to be incompatible.
Elmarit R 28/2.8
Elmarit R 35/2.8
Summicron R 50/2
Every Pentax K-mount lens has a protruding fin and an aperture lever. It does NOT fit.
Thanks for coming by! Please help support my site by using the links on this page or bookmark these from my favorite retailers, B&H, Adorama, Zacuto, Amazon.com & Think Tank Photo. Using the links cost you nothing extra, but it helps offset the cost of running my blog. Thanks again for coming by eriknaso.com!